This week’s episode was the end of the Ghost Rider arc, but hopefully not the end of Ghost Rider in the MCU. Robbie was my favorite on-screen Ghost Rider (once you get through the nostalgia of Declaration of Independence and Ford Mustang thief Johnny Blaze) and I can’t wait to see what else is in store for that guy and Gabe. But here we are, moving forward, always, looking into the abyss that is the mid-season break. This episode wrapped up a few loose ends and established a bunch more, but we know our show. Half the shit they set up last night will be answered within the next two episodes.
WARNING: SPOILERS LIVE HERE!
1. LMDirector Mace is growing on me. I still think he’s an LMD, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. He said that he was mildly attracted to AIDA (just like the rest of us), but those “emotions” could have been programmed, just like when AIDA got shot and was displaying the proper emotions and feeling pain because that’s how Dr. Potter programmed her. It’s entirely possible that LMDirector was programmed to experience a whole lot of emotions (like confusion, pain, lust, shame, etc.) that inform his decisions.
When Senator Nadeer confronted LMDirector Mace with the footage from the prison, he immediately caved and asked what she wanted. Every time someone goes against his team building ideals, he is confused as to why they wouldn’t trust each other. When told that AIDA is an android, he immediately confessed to having some feelings for her prior to that knowledge. His reactions are always immediate, as if he isn’t experiencing those emotions, but rather reacting with them.
2. Along that same line, look what AIDA did with May. She created a Termaynator that showed relief and happiness and badassery to the point of convincing even Coulson, the best Avenger and her closest friend. Like I said, I’m sure it’s going to be figured out that Termaynator is an LMD in the next two episodes, but everything I saw today firms my belief that LMDirector Mace is in fact an LMD.
3. Remember that brain AIDA was cooking up? I was thinking that she made that for Termaynator, but now I think she made it for herself to give herself the knowledge to make a better version LMD. Dr. Potter created AIDA off of older SHIELD LMD plans, so he’s already playing catch up. I think AIDA just skipped ahead with the Darkhold and is now able to make LMDs on LMDirector Mace’s level. Or the brain was for Termaynator. We’ll probably find out fairly quickly.
4. LMDirector Mace. I can’t get made when he goes full Patriot. His suit seemed like a sponsored version of Captain America’s suit, but he doesn’t really need the uniform, does he? That’s mostly for optics and branding. Captain America may be AWOL, but here’s a NEW hero to love and trust: The Patriot! He doesn’t wear a mask so his “identity” is out in the open. People like transparency! I have to admit, that was pretty awesome to see the Patriot in action, SHIELD suit and all.
5. WON’T SOMEONE PLEASE REMEMBER ULTRON?
6. Uncle Eli
is was fucked up. He impaled his own nephew in his jack in the box of horrors. Last week I mused that Uncle Eli wouldn’t have too long to figure out what else he could make besides carbon, but apparently he’s a quick study. Last week he made carbon spikes appear out of nowhere. Now he can make plutonium and basic compounds. Thor would have been amused to see that Eli has the same glassware as Dr. Strange.
I kind of liked the end of Uncle Eli’s arc, though. It seemed a little rushed so they could get into the whole LMD side of the action, but it was cool to see Ghost Rider grab Eli and take him into the Dark Dimension (or whatever dimension of hell he escaped from). If we ever see Robbie again, he’s going to be the one helping Ghost Rider settle his scores. He made a deal. Now it’s time to pay up.
7. I almost cheered when Coulson told Daisy about the LAST GHOST RIDER. What else does he know about Johnny Blaze???
8. FOR THE LoVE OF GOD THINK OF ULTRON!
9. The humor this episode was awesome. I loved Coulson’s Plan B, and the quip about AIDA dreaming of electric sleep was properly nerdy. Coulson telling Uncle Eli to get a girlfriend before he started creating life was tops. I even laughed at LMDirector Mace’s pouting when he confessed his sadness that they were not a team that trusts. He seemed so hurt. It was awesome.
Agent Coulson should be dead. But he gets that a lot.
10. The Demon Core is a real thing. Apparently it was involved in two incidents and killed two people. Uncle Eli did his homework.
11. I am so glad Daisy is back on the team. She’s got Blue clearance, whateverthefuck that means, but she’s back! Everyone knew she belonged with the team except for her; it just took her a while to figure it out for herself. Now she’s back, and “Quake” has been cleared. She can get back into the field with the gang.
I was so happy to hear Coulson suggest that Daisy should have been the face of SHIELD, and Daisy’s reaction of “maybe in the comic book version!” I’ll allow it.
12. Yo Yo is a better Flash than Barry Allen. Not in the abilities sense but how she uses them. Yo Yo’s power set is slightly different, but when you compare what Yo Yo did last night and what Barry did in the Crossover when he planted the devices on all of the aliens, I have to give it to Yo Yo. She went through and changed the fight in such a way as to immediately give her side the advantage. It was almost choreographed, what with Coulson and Mack immediately shooting those guys after Yo Yo repositioned them. Also, she was able to not fuck the timeline.
13. PLEASE GOD SOMEONE THINK OF ULTRON!
14. Poor Nathanson. His last few days went as follows: Get told to fuck off by May; Go help an android pack; see May naked; get neck snapped. Not the glamorous SHIELD life he signed up for, I would imagine.
But now it’s time to say goodbye to our Shield family. Just for the holidays, though, so it’s not too bad, right? Go say Happy Holidays to irk your local Trump Supporters and be excellent to each other. Drink a lot of eggnog and wear inappropriate sweaters. Watch Yo Yo on her new web series to hold you over for about a month, and I’ll see you on the other side!